Future Care Medical Case Managers (MCM) coordinate between hospital staff, physicians, crew members and their family, to review and monitor medical treatment on behalf of the shipowner.
Our team, who are experienced in responding to the specialized needs of the hospitalized seafarer, maintains contact with the crew member and their family throughout, managing a range of duties, including:
- Steering to appropriate hospitals
- Facilitating admission and managing billing
- Communicating with the hospital treatment team
- Coordinating transportation with the port agent
- Managing repatriation, including identifying suitable medical transport and professional escorts, as needed
- Managing post discharge treatment and medications required after discharge or upon repatriation
The presence of a Future Care MCM also personalizes the shipowner’s involvement during treatment, serving as a reminder of their concern, creating goodwill between employer and employee and reducing the likelihood of claims and litigation.